I love aromatic herbs, seeds, and roots. I love the way the scent lingers in the nose and the way memories can flood the mind with one sniff. With the New on this week I feel called to talk about a moon herb, one with connections to Mercury as well. This week I talk about star anise.
Star anise is something we all have at home, that cool looking dark star with a powerful scent and taste. In the world of magic its associated with a few different elements and planets. Star anise is associated with both the elements of water and air, as well as the Moon, Mercury, and Neptune.
I feel star anise is the perfect herb (seed) to focus on for the New Moon in Virgo. This seed is the union of moon and mercury, of water and air, of La Luna in the sign of Virgo. Keywords for star anise are clairvoyance, dream work, meditation, deepening psychic abilities, and protection
Moon herbs are great for emotions, intuition, divination, psychic abilities, and spellwork. Mercury herbs help us achieve clear thinking, efficient communication and supports us in decision-making. When you combine the two you have a great magical ally to help you write your New Moon wish lists and conduct your rituals.
- Ways to work with star anise:
- Carry the seeds or the pod for luck, clairvoyance and psychic awareness.
- Drink star anise tea or keep the pods in a pouch to promote astral projection and psychic ability
- Anise seeds carried in a sachet is believed to ward off the evil eye
- Add it to amulets for purification and renewal
- Star anise is believed to help one contact other planes, add some to your altar the next time you work with your ancestors, guides or deities
- Use in dream pillows to keep away nightmares
- Fresh anise leaves or anise seeds used in a potpourri will protect a room from evil spirits and intentions
- It can be used in holy waters for blessing and exorcisms
Star anise has so much to offer medicinally and magically. If you feel called to do so initiate a relationship with it, let it assist you as you get your New Moon magic on this week. Or any other time you feel called to work with it.
This Virgo New moon brings with it themes of self-sacrifice, healing, "cleaning up" our lives, and examining whether we take care of ourselves as well as we do others. Virgo is the sign of harvest, the nurse, the healer, the practical life coach. However, for true healing and health to take place we have to take care of ourselves too. Star anise is protective, in our day to day lives we can reflect on our boundaries and how well we protect ourselves.
New Moons can bring an energetic clean slate, it's a nice time to do a clearing or energy detox. A cord cutting ritual could be useful too! Along with all this, you can create a ritual pouch with star anise or add it to your home to keep what you just released out of your space. The possibilities are endless, tune into yourself and listen.
There are numerous ways to infuse the ideas above with rituals for this new moon. Let the information sit with you and create a ritual which inspires you and speaks to you.
Until next time,
Instagram | @mysticalmandrakeroot